German courses in Munich

Visa for language students

ASL is happy to help all students who are required to get a visa before attending one of our German courses. However, there are numerous questions that can be answered by following these helpful instructions and tips:

Any non-EU citizen applying for a university place in Germany is required to get a visa. Exemptions are made for applicants from Australia, Japan, Canada, Israel, New Zealand, the USA, Switzerland, Honduras, Monaco and San Marino.
The appropriate type of visa may differ from applicant to applicant. It is important to notice that it is not possible to convert a tourist visa into a student visa. With the tourist visa, you are not allowed to study in Germany. Therefore, applying for the correct visa is crucial.


For international students and applicants, there are three types of visa:
the language course visa, which can not be converted into a student visa,
the student applicant visa which is typically issued for a three months period, but can be extended up to 18 months if an attendance of a German language course can be proved
and the student visa which is issued for one year. To get a visa, you need a passport, a notification of admission of your German university or the Studienkolleg and proof that you can finance your studies
In case you’re an au pair: After one year, the visa can be converted into an applicants visa if the requirements for studying are fulfilled


In order to apply for the student applicant visa, the following documents are required:

– a valid passport.
– passport photos,
– an university entrance qualification which is recognised as equivalent to a German higher education entrance qualification (e.g. graduation diploma and other certificates). Applicants from certain states need approval of their certificates from an accreditation office („Zeugnisanerkennungsstelle“).

– proof of the attendance of a language course
– information about previous academic performance
– proof of financial resources

uppBild 020

To apply for a student visa, you furthermore need the notification of admission of your German university or the Studienkolleg. In few cases, the university’s confirmation of application can be sufficient. You can apply for a visa at the German embassy or at a German consulate in your home country. We recommend that you submit your application as early as possible. Regarding specific visa formalities, you can make enquiries at the German Representations Abroad.

If you still have any questions, don’t hesitate to contact us. After having booked and paid for a language course at ASL, you will immediately be sent a confirmation. This confirmation together with the other required documents enables you to submit an application for a visa. In most cases, you get a visa at the German Representations Abroad.

If the rare case arises that your application will be refused, you will naturally get back the paid course fees (deducting a small handling fee). It also would be possible and free of charge, if you want to postpone your course start then.

uppBild 021

German courses

Find out about the German course that is right for you:
• Intensive courses
• Integration courses
• Exam preparation courses
and further courses

Learn more

Course fees

Fair prices and high quality! For example: 400 lessons in four weeks for 440 Euro.

Further information


Register now directly for our courses and exams. The enrollment is easy and fast. Your personal details are safe with us!

Register now

Exams at ASL

ASL is a certified test centre for TestDaF (German as a Foreign Language) Exam and telc. Learn about the dates of examination and the prices.

Further information


Visit us call us, send an e-mail or use our contact form to send your request!

To enquire nowe

Our school

Find out more about the teachers and the classes, the school’s location and what the students say about ASL.

Read more

What students say

What our students say: A very good atmosphere and qualified teachers. A lot of new friends and a successful examination!!

Register now

Where to find us

ASL is located near the university in the famous Munich quarter Schwabing, between the metro stations Giselastraße and Münchner Freiheit.

To the map

Vielen Dank für Ihre Nachricht !